Aim of ESN Split is supporting international students who choose Split as a place for their studies. Each semester we get around 200 students, which is a really big number for us, and we are glad to know that our lovely city attracts more and more students every semester.
ESN Split consists of approximately 80 student volunteers from different faculties of the University of Split. We organise a recruitment at the beginning of each semester but students are, of course, always free to contact us and join our ESN family. In case you’re interested in joining ESN Split, you can contact us via Facebook, Instagram or email to email@example.com.
Our section is divided into smaller teams and each team has a specific function. Active members choose among themselves one person to lead the following teams:
- Party (current coordinator: Danijela Bilonić)
- PR (current coordinator: Farah Noor Ćemer)
- Travel (current coordinator: Josip Radić)
- Social Inclusion (current coordinator: Anamarija Šarić)
- Sport (current coordinator: Karla Budimir)
- Grant (current coordinator: Karmen Svalina)
- ICE/Movin’ Europe (current coordinator: Kristina Bilokapić)
- Human Resources (current coordinator: Ines Varnica)
- ESNcard/Partnership (current coordinator: Damir Jurić)
- Buddy Coordinator (current coordinator: Petra Udiljak)
For the academic year 2020/21, the Local Board of ESN Split consists of:
- Marin Kraljević as President
- Renato Šikić as Vice-President
- Farah Noor Ćemer as PR Coordinator
- Ines Varnica as HR Coordinator
- Marijeta Blekačić as Secretary/Treasurer
Both active and non-active members can be a part of a project called The Buddy System. Buddy System is a special part of every Erasmus section. A Buddy is an ESN student volunteer that helps incoming Erasmus students prior to and during their Erasmus stay. They help out with paperwork, getting around or anything else international students might need. Every incoming student has the right to apply for a Buddy. Upon students’ arrival to Split, they are introduced to the Campus, their Buddies, and they are provided with all the necessary information regarding their stay here. From the academic year of 2020/2021 we have a Buddy Coordinator that can be contacted by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
During their stay, Erasmus students are engaged in a plethora of activities organised by ESN Split that meets them with a historical background of Split centre, beautiful islands in the region, breathtaking coast, and blue sea that is mentioned all around the world. Besides visiting islands, exploring the Mediterranean culture and National Parks, they can be a part of events such as pub quizzes, MEet My Country, Language Tandem, and many others.
Social Inclusion Team takes care of organizing charity events for both Erasmus people and locals (Date Auction, blood donation, dog-walking) cooperating with local associations like “Zvono”, “MoST”, “Providnost”, “NO-KILL Animal Rescue Shelter”, local “Red Cross”, etc.
Party Team is in charge of the best-themed parties such as Anything But A Cup, Glow in the Dark Party, and Slav Squat Party.
With all above mentioned, our main goal is to make international students’ stay in Split unforgettable and life-changing.
Some of the projects we’ve been doing are Europska Cooltura - for the fourth year now we have been doing activities which promote the importance of international culture by organising various sport and cultural events. Besides that, we have written projects and got support from the City of Split, “Čistoća Split”, and we also get many donations from the University of Split, which finances additional education of our volunteers.
Our work throughout the years was recognised by the ESN AISBL through these awards:
- Section in the Spotlight award - Network Committee (2016)
- Movin’ Europe Activity of the Month (2016)
- MEekend award - with ESN Zagreb (2017)
- 1st place for SeCoSTAR: Section Cooperation with ESN Zagreb (2018)
- 3rd place for careerSTAR: Employ Your Skills (2018)
ESN Split has won 5 STARawards at the National Platform of ESN Croatia held in May 2020:
- Best Culture Event for Culture Workshops
- Best Social Inclusion Event for the tournament with the homeless people
- visibilitySTAR because we had the most posts, reportage and guest appearances in the media.
- Best Awareness Campaign for the Forum Theatre
- Best Lockdown Practice for our cooking workshops on Instagram
There is also one more award we got very recently, which makes us just as proud as the others: ESN Alumni Award - for the outstanding work supporting international students during the COVID-19 pandemic.
National events organised by ESN Split so far:
- 6th National Platform of ESN Croatia (2015)
- 13th National Platform of ESN Croatia (2018)
- 3rd Local Boards Meeting (2019)
... and we also organised the first ever Local Platform of ESN Split in December 2018!
ESN Split was the first to start a Local platform in 2018. The whole event is created to highlight the local ESN community, on its strengthening and connecting the Local Board, coordinators, new and old members. The event consists of presentations, workshops, discussions, reports from the state and international level and mini team building. The event has received very positive feedback from members of the local ESN section and the members have expressed a desire for it to be maintained on a regular basis.
Each segment of the Local Platform has space for members questions, comments, constructive criticisms and suggestions for future work. After the event and socializing for 2 days we believe that there is increased motivation, desire for progress and intimacy, and knowledge itself among the members of the association at the local level and we will certainly continue to maintain this event 1-2 times a year. For now, we have had two local platforms, one in 2018 and one in 2019.
ESN Split is here to guide you through the discovery of Split, an amazing city filled with vibrant people, beautiful scenery, a mixture of traditional and modern, all of which makes it a perfect place for your Erasmus stay!